At the Refresher’s Fair in Carlisle tomorrow, the Careers team will be on hand to give advice about finding a summer job. Yes, now is the time to start planning! You can find more information on the Careers pages or you can come along and chat to us in the Learning Gateway tomorrow from 10.00 am until 3.00 pm – see you there!
Some Important Tips
- Look at the different areas of work that are available, particularly over summer. Decide which areas interest you and focus your time on these when searching for a summer job.
- Start deciding what you want to do now. Employers anticipate summer – bigger sales, more people, a chance to make money; so they’re going to start recruiting early.
- Research the companies and roles you are applying for. Not only will you then know exactly what’s expected of you in the role, but you will also put yourself at an advantage if there’s an interview later.
- Start applying now. It’s never too early! Update your CV and start sending it out to employers. The earlier you apply, the more consideration can be given to your CV, the more organised you’ll look, and the more likely you’re going to be to get a job.
Places to look for summer jobs:
- University of Cumbria Careers Service
- In the newspaper
- Employment agencies
- In person
- By networking
Tip: Did you know that we post vacancy listings on our Facebook, Twitter and blog regularly?
Whether you’re applying for a job via post or email you will most likely need to submit a CV. If you are applying in person, always take a CV with you. You may also have to complete an application form. If you would like some CV feedback, please email email@example.com. For help with applications go to www.cumbria.ac.uk/careers
University of Cumbria Careers service – www.cumbria.ac.uk/careers
University of Cumbria Jobshop – www.cumbria.prospects.ac.uk
Prospects – www.prospects.ac.uk
Universal Jobmatch – www.gov.uk/jobsearch (previously Job Centre Plus)