Applications for this year’s scheme are open on 2nd February and close at midnight on Sunday 15th February 2015. The selection and assessment process will take place in March 2015.
Please click here for further information: http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee-schemes-and-apprenticeships/production/where-it-begins
- Passionate about music and digital tech and are doing something about it?
- Already making your own Youtube videos, broadcasting radio programmes, writing your own blogs, making your own films?
- The sort of person who has ‘get up and go’ and can get stuff done?
- Want to get hands on experience across all areas of Radio 1 & 1Xtra, from live events to programmes, to online and visualisation?
- Want a chance to share your creative ideas?
THEN OUR INTERNSHIP IS FOR YOU!
Our paid 8 week internships will give you the chance to work across our shows and departments. You’ll get hands on skills at the heart of BBC Radio 1 & 1Xtra HQ.
Here are the dates of the placements on offer:
24th April – 18th June 2015
20th July 2015 – 11th September 2015
YOU NEED TO:
- Be creative and brilliant, passionate about radio, music and everything that appeals to a young audience.
- Know about current music and you’ll be listening to Radio 1 & 1Xtra
- Be into new technology and social media and will get how this is impacting on us and our audience.
- Be 18 or over and available to get to London to work on the dates stated. (The placements are based in our HQ on the top floor of New Broadcasting House, London).
- Be from any background, and any part of the UK. You don’t need to be a loud mouth! You could be quietly confident in your abilities.
YOU DON’T NEED TO:
- Be qualified! NB. You DON’T NEED any qualifications or radio experience. Instead, show us that you have a big imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for exploring and building a career in the media.
- Want to be the next Greg James or Sarah Jane Crawford. This is an ‘off air’ scheme, for people interested in careers in off air production roles. It is NOT a scheme for people interested in presenting.
More detail about the scheme
During the eight weeks you will work with teams across both stations, spending blocks of time in different departments. You will take part in meetings and brainstorms across R1 and 1X, research topics and complete a range of duties for production teams prior to and during live shows.
Hours will mainly be 10-6pm Monday to Friday. However we are 24/7 stations and keen that our interns experience and get involved with as much as possible. We are looking for flexible people who will be able to work weekends or alternative hours on request.
At the start of the placement, you will be set a research brief to prepare and develop across the 8 weeks. You will then present your findings and ideas to senior management at the end of the placement. This could be on anything, from how we use social media to comedy. We will give you creative and insight training to help you with this project. You’ll have regular meetings with the Marketing and Audiences team to develop your ideas.
During your time here you will also have a mentor. They will be a senior member of the Radio 1 & 1Xtra team who will spend time with you every week to discuss how your placement is going as well as your future plans.